* 2 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
* 4 egg whites, beaten
* 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs (homemade fresh is better!)
* 6 cups marinara sauce, divided (I make my own from fresh or can tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs...Mark Bittman is a great source for fresh sauce)
* 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced (better quality cheese, better tasting dish)
* 3 TBL grated Parmesan cheese, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Dip both sides of eggplant slices in egg, and let egg drip off. Then press each side in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet, sprayed with PAM. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes on each side.
3. In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread marinara sauce thinly to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce, layer first with fresh spinach leaves and then mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle basil on top.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.