Adapted from America's Test Kitchen "Vegan for Everybody"
- 2 pounds Cremini mushrooms, trimmed & quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can organic whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 dried Porcini mushrooms, rinsed & minced
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBL organic tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 TBL soy sauce or Tamari
- 3 TBL soy unsweetened creamer
- 1 lb whole wheat linguini (also works well with spaghetti squash!)
- Working in batches, pulse Cremini mushrooms, carrots, & onion in food processor until finely chopped, about 5-7 pulses. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse tomatoes and their juices until finely chopped, 6-8 pulses. Set aside separately.
- Heat oil in dutch over over medium heat until shimmering. Add processed vegetables and Porcini mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to medium-high and cook until vegetable begin to brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine & simmer, stirring occasionally until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in processed tomatoes, broth, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has thickened but is still moist. Stir in soy creamer. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions and drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Return to pot. Add sauce and toss to combine. Adjust consistency with reserved cooking water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste & serve.